Sunday, August 25, 2013

#YestoGod Wholly Commited

As I was debating on which blog topic I wanted to write about this past week, it was clear to me after I went to church on Wednesday night. My Pastor talked about taking up our crosses and following him from Matthew 16:24-28. So I knew that wholly committed would be my topic.

One thing I have found to be interesting about this #YestoGod journey & Bible study that I started is that it came shortly around the time I made 2 decisions. The 1st was that my 'one word' for the 2nd half of 2013 would be "surrender" and the 2nd is that I decided to get re-baptized.

You can watch the video here. :)


Making the decision to get re-baptized is not only a beautiful symbol of surrender, but it also shows that I made a commitment to follow him publicly.

One of the things that my pastor mentioned that I made note of was that the word deny means to disown one self or own interests. So we have to make a daily decision that will either yield to the spirit or give into our fleshly desires - which is me most of the times. It also means that we need to be putting the things of God and His kingdom 1st. 

Surrendering or denying myself has been difficult because my crazy flesh keeps wanting to get in the way. I'm also used to being independent that it has been hard to let go of certain things that I feel I should be able to handle. But as previous experience has taught me it is in those small things that I need Him most.

He also said that the "cross" is a sign of commitment and when it says to "deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me", Jesus is saying that we need to lay down our own will and take up "our cross". In order to take up something we must lay something down.So in other words, we must lay down our own plans, desires, wishes and "take up" God's calling, purpose, plan & will for our life. 

That is why I think this whole SURRENDER & YES TO GOD is so interesting. Especially since I've been saved for over 23, but I haven't always been committed to God and His plan for my life. My journey has had many ups and downs and gone down many roads I wish I had never gone. But at the same time, if I hadn't, I never would have had the pleasure of knowing that God "works for the good of those who love Him". (Romans 8:28 NIV). Plus, it wouldn't have shaped me into the person I am today.

The above post is in response to the  Yes to God Blog Hop week 3

1 comment:

  1. I also was baptized a 2nd time. This time I understood better what was going on and what it meant to be public about my faith with my peers. GOOD FOR YOU!! It was beautiful. #whollycommitted, #stickwithit

    ReplyDelete

My new website!

Hello and thank you for visiting my blogger site! If you have noticed, I haven't posted anything since 2014. That is because I have...